Spring has sprung in Corpus Christi, and for me that means spending more time outdoors soaking up the sun, and taking in our beautiful surroundings. While I love soaking in the rays and getting some much needed color into my paling skin, it is important to keep in mind the dangers that UVA and UVB rays can cause. So here are just a few reminders for when you are enjoying the outdoors.
- Wear Sunscreen: Experts recommend at least SPF 30. Even with sunscreen your skin will still tan, but the sun screen will help protect your skin from the damaging rays.
- Reapply Sunscreen: Sunscreen should be reapplied at least once every hour. Don’t think that layer you put on before you left the house will last your whole trip to the beach.
- Stay Hydrated: Water is the best option. If you are starting to feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated.
- Try to stay out of the sun between 10am and 2pm when the suns rays are the strongest.
- Wear a wide brimmed hat, sunglasses and loose fitting, light colored clothing. The sunscreen you are wearing and reapplying will help with tan lines.
Most importantly, enjoy your time outdoors. We are so lucky to live in such a beautiful costal city, so take the time to check out your favorite park, your favorite beach, or just sit out on the balcony of your apartment and take in your surroundings.