Especially in the summer, utilities bills always seems to skyrocket! Whether you live in an apartment or in a home, there are ways for you to save money. Here are some of my helpful tips that can help lower your monthly utility bills!
1. Program your thermostat. Raise your thermostat temperature to a higher temperature during the day when you are not home.
2. Change air filters. Dirty air filters prevent effective air flow and makes your AC work harder.
3. Make sure that you do not have any running toilets in your home. Running toilets are just wasting water. A running toilet can waste up to 2 gallons of water an hour.
4. Use overhead fans instead of dropping your thermostat temperature.
5. Unplug any appliances or electronics that you are not using on a regular basis. If you have a spare bedroom that does not get used on a regular basis, you can save on your electricity by unplugging lamps, TV, alarm clocks, etc. Also, shutting any vents in those rooms could help send cool AC air into more desired areas of your home.
6. Shut off the water to your sink while you are brushing your teeth or shaving.
7. Close the blinds in your home during the hottest parts of the day to help control the temperature of your home. Direct sunlight can raise the temperature in your home very quickly.
8. Try to avoid running your appliances that generate large amounts of heat during the daytime hours when temperatures are the hottest.
9. Check the cracks and seals of your doors and windows to make sure that you have a good seal to prevent cool air from escaping from your home. If you live in a Camden community, you can put in a service request for maintenance to come and check these seals for you!
10. Use outdoor grills verses the oven inside your home. The oven in your home will drive the interior temperature of your home up, while an outside grill would keep the heat outside where it belongs!
I hope these helpful tips will be useful to you and your family and you’ll be able to save some money this summer! Put the money you saved to good use and go on a fun vacation!